I’m not sure where this came from but it’s here none the less. I kinda like it in a way. It makes nice walking weather at the end of the day. It’s quiet somehow when it snows. I heard the sound of a train horn off in the distance as it headed into the south metro. It’s a lonely sound when you hear it across the farmland and to hear the diesel motor chugging away.
It takes me back to an earlier time when I was a kid laying in bed on a cold winter’s night in southern Iowa. I’d lay snuggled under the blankets trying to stay warm in a house that was never meant to have insulation. Momma always bought these thermal blankets for us and she said that they were plenty to keep us warm but they didn’t. My older brothers snapped up the wool Army blankets that Dad brought back with him when he was discharged after World War 2 so they could keep warm. My little brother and I had to fend for ourselves somehow.
I’d attempt to sneak one of Grandma M’s homemade quilts and put it under the thermal blanket to disguise it. Momma hated it when I did that. I hated it worse whenever my oldest sister, the Troll, caught me doing it. She was such a tattle tale and always wondered why we tormented her. She’d get revenge on us by turned the shared heat vent for our room and hers so the warm air was only on her side leaving we boys to deal with the cold.
But eventually the bed would warm up as we continued to lay there. The room air was cool and so were our walls. I would lay there listening to the trains pull into town and listen as each car went clickety clack across the railroad crossing as I slowly slipped off to sleep on a cold winter’s night.
It’s that time of week once again where I test myself against a brain that says that I can’t do this. Let’s see …
1. No I am not a cold hearted person. ll of God’s creatures have to eat this time of year and food is scarce out there. Even I will let the squirrels feed for a while but they will gorge themselves if left to their own devices. I chase them off before we get there.
2. Wow! This is late. It’s been a busy day with working from home today. It’s been one issue after another. I need a break from it and the end of the work day is within sight. 🙂
3. Lord Almighty! My bankcard is awfully slow with posting payments made to it. I suppose that it’s one way to make some extra interest dollars.
4. One of our managers fired a professional shot at me today. Was that ever unexpected. Am I angry? No. Disappointed? Yes. Oh well. Such is life.
5. It’s grey skies and spitting snow when I look out my office window. it’s going to be one cold weekend. I need to think of some good comfort food to make this weekend to help me thru it. How many more weeks until a new Spring? Too many I’m afraid.
There ya have it. Feel free to comment or leave some warming thoughts on your way thru if’n you would like. 🙂
So we march steadily forward towards the weekend. There are a couple of things that I’d like to get done but I’d probably get caught by someone and then they would start in with a bunch of fussing up at me. That aint good. I wonder if I could just explain it away by saying it’s for my mental health? That sounds like an almost kinda sorta plausible approach that I could take.
Meanwhile back at the ranch …
We got a wee bit of that white stuff this morning which left a dusting of it and that’s about all. A friend up in the north metro told me that she didn’t get anything at her place. Why was I so lucky? Maybe it’s to keep me honest. I dunno. I’ll just blame Jason for not keeping this stuff in Colorado like he was supposed to.
There’s not much else to do on a cold winter’s night and it’s gonna be a lot colder soon.
It’s cold out there this morning. “It’s colder than a well digger’s butt!” as the saying goes. Not that I know any well diggers nor do I really wanna know what their butts look like. But I digress.
It’s a rather pleasant and balmy 10*F (-12C) out there with frost nipping at you when you’re outside. It made me reconsider how long I wanted to go for my first walk of the day. I cut it short at six laps. Hopefully it will warm up a bit today. We may even hit 21*F(-6C) if we’re lucky! 🙂