A Jewish bookie was at the races playing the ponies and losing his shirt. He noticed a Priest step out onto the track and bless the forehead of one of the horses lining up for the 4th race. Lo and behold, that horse – along shot – won the race. Next race, as the horses lined up, the Priest stepped onto the track. Sure enough, he blessed one of the horses.
The bookie made a beeline for abetting window and placed a small bet on the horse. Again, even though it was another long shot, the horse won the race. He collected his winnings, and anxiously waited to see which horse the Priest would bless next. He bet big on it, and it won.
As the races continued, the Priest kept blessing horses, and each one ended up winning. The bookie was elated. He made a quick dash to the ATM, withdrew all his savings, and waited for the Priest’s blessing that would tell him which horse to bet on. True to his pattern, the Priest stepped onto the track for the last race and blessed the forehead of an old nag that was 100/1. This time the priest blessed the eyes, ears, and hooves of the old nag. The bookie knew he had a winner and bet every cent he owned on the old nag.
He watched dumbfounded, as the old nag pulled up and couldn’t even finish the race. In a state of shock, the bookie went to the track area where the Priest was. Confronting him, he demanded, “Father! What happened? All day long you blessed horses and they all won. Then in the last race, the horse you blessed never even had a chance. Now, thanks to you, I’ve lost every cent of my savings!”
The Priest nodded wisely and with sympathy. “You are not Catholic, are you my son?”
“No, I’m Jewish”
“That’s the problem,” said the Priest. “You couldn’t tell the difference between a blessing and last rites.”
It’s that time of week once again where I do battle with my brain to come up with something. Let’s see …
1. It’s kinda gloomy and cool out there. It’s also misty weather. I like it. It’s atypical Fall weather. “Yes”, I’m still wearing shorts when I’m outside walking. It’s a rather wet and pleasant 53*F (12C) out there right now. Maybe this is a good night to use the fireplace. It’s still way too early to start the furnace.
2. The long range weather forecast shows me that it’s time to start closing down some things outside.
3. It’s Pay Day! It’s Pay Day! Maybe I can afford Mickey Dees this weekend after going to the market and paying bills. Yeh, I know. It’s almost like food tho.
4. I found a new pork chop recipe to try out. It looks good and tasty. Besides, it’s comfort food for this time of year and it gives me a reason to crack open a bottle of rose’. That’s good, right? As if I actually needed a reason to drink some wine.
5. The last of my inner circle is moving on after losing their contract employment. I was down to two but she has moved to Alaska. I’m going to miss those early morning private conversations at work where we could talk about problems and know what we were telling one another was always confidential. It was good catharsis.
Well, there ya have it. Feel free to comment and/or wave a vigorous “Hidey Ho!” on your way thru if’n you would like. 🙂