I do that when I get a tad bit bored like I am right now. All my work is caught up and no one is pestering me for something nor are they sending me IM’s so they can complain. No. I’m not lucky like that today (thank the Gods).
So here I am completely minding my own business and being perfectly well behaved (it can happen) and I was thinking about what science promised us back in 19 … ummm … a number of years ago when I was in junior high and science said that we would have these things in the 21st Century. OK, here we are. Where are they?
- So I wanna know where those food preparation machines are like the ones that The Jetson’s had. I was really looking forward to being able to walk up to some machine and say “I’d like a t-bone steak, medium rare, with mushrooms, a baked potato with sour cream, and apple pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.” The closest thing to it now is the drive thru at Mickey Dees when I order a Big Mac … and they ask “Do you want fries with that???“
- Where’s our controlled weather? Star Trek had controlled weather. Where’s ours? A blizzard in the forecast? Not a problem! We’ll fix that quick, fast and in a hurry.
- Space travel to other planets. C’mon! We were supposed to be on Mars already.
- Little green men who are regular visitors to our planet. Oh wait! They’re already here and are a part of El Presidente’s cabinet. Disregard this one.
- Commercial space travel. Pan Am was doing this in 2001: A Space Odyssey. We don’t have that either. Come to think of it, we also don’t have Pan Am any more.
- Being able to go anywhere in the world in less than an hour. Now this upsets me. I can’t hop anything that will whisk me off to Viking land so I can have tea with Miss Anna much less transport my butt to the local Walmart.
Yeh, we’ve been ripped off. Now I’m wondering what they did with all that money other than buying $500 hammers.