My 57th April is completing itself. It will all be over in a few short hours and we move on to another month in our life. The month ends cold and grey and wet and it reminds me of how the month started. Hopefully the coming month will be warmer with plenty ow sunshine and warm breezes. I’m really looking forward to this cold front moving out so SPring can take hold once again. Such is the seasons in central Minnesota.
I’ve been thinking a lot about the books that my gummys are starting to read. They do so well with the Dr. Seuss books that I bought for them so I thought I would expand their minds and their imagination somewhat. I purchased some hard copies of Beatrix Potter’s novels for the girls to read. I think it’s a good time to introduce them to Peter Rabbit and others since I was about their age when they were introduced to me. I hope they enjoy reading the books as much as I did when I read them.
I looked out the front window and noticed how dark it’s gotten since I started writing this. The electric candle is lit in the window once again and rain on the window reflects the light. Everything is buttoned up for the night and I think it’s time to go climb under the covers. It’s going to be an early morning for me.
Girl before a Mirror is a painting by Pablo Picasso that was painted in March, 1932. The painting has been widely known for its varied interpretations of the lover and the beloved. Girl Before a Mirror was painted during Picasso’s cubism period.
The painting is of woman looking into a mirror and the image is different which forms the basis of the interpretation. The woman in the painting is shown to be beautiful with smooth complexion and big eyes. The colors have been given to enhance the beauty of the woman. The front part painted with choicest of colors merges with rough colors that reflect in the mirror to highlight the difference.
Picasso was married when he met Marie-Thérèse Walter who is the subject of the painting. During the 1930s, she became his favorite subject and in this painting he used colors and symbols to show the different ways he viewed her and the ways that she viewed herself. The art work is considered erotic in Picasso’s art, and received a wide range of reactions and interpretations.
How Pablo Picasso views his beloved forms the understanding of one interpretation where her beauty is the subject. The yellow side of her face represents happy times with Picasso. The bright colors represent the times together. This side of her face shows her youth in the makeup free completion. This woman is painted with colors that increase her beauty.
The reflection represents the other interpretation of how she views herself. The colors used here are dark and make her look very old. Instead of happiness the meaning here is more of hate and unhappiness, fear and as if aging is getting on to her indicative of her fear of losing her youth.
What a busy, busy morning. Two trips to the compost yard for garden soil and the new bed is filled and the two long beds are topped off. That was a bit of a workout for an older guy and I’m sure that my back will let me know later on just how upset it is with me. I gotta concede that the garden soil that I got at the compost yard is far, far better (and lots cheaper) than what I’d get at my store of dreams. I’ll get a nice long and hot shower to make my back shut up. If that doesn’t work, there’s always Aleve.
I had to grid off two of the beds but at least that is done and now I can think about planting other crops. I noticed that I had some fingerling potatoes that are starting to go to seed and I planted them in my potato bed to see if they will grow. It will be really cool if they do. If they don’t; I guess nothing ventured is nothing gained. I’m thinking about trying my hand at garlic while I’m at it this year. I not too sure how I would go about growing them much less keeping them but it’s something to do a little research on.
SO I have some pumpkin seeds started indoors and under a grow light. My bed for peppers has this nice, loomy soil that breaks apart so nice in my hands. All I need to plant them is some warmer weather. I have plans to plant some more peas and plant some green beans next weekend. So it looks like my planting season is really kicking off now.
The work week is over and we traveled over to Vee Dub so they could get the one last repair done to my ride. Once again they were slow for a Friday and they asked if I wanted it done today instead of waiting until tomorrow. Hey, Momma didn’t raise no fool; so I took a quick walk over to TGIFridays for an early supper of soup and salad. The down side is having to walk thru a lot full of brand new vehicles on my way out.
New cars! I love how they look and I love how they smell. They’re sleek and exotic and entrancing. They’re like a woman dressed to the 9’s. They call to me like Greek Sirens beckoning me to come look at them. So enticing but the rocks that I would crash on will be the monthly payment that comes with them. Ugh! It takes all that I have inside of me to look away. I had to brave that walk twice but Hey, I’m a guy and I like to look.
So that’s all out of the way, my new raised bed is in place and we have a trip to the compost place in the morning. I’m getting kind of exciting that a new growing season is even closer for me.
It’s that time of week once again where I have to reach out with my feelings and use “The Force” to come up with something.
1. I can’t tell if it’s going to be sunny or cloudy or what today. Maybe it’s going to be partly sunny. All I know is I want it to start warming up.
2. We have a yard work weekend. It’s time to fill in the one new bed and to top off the others. It’s time to start looking at getting some new plants and putting them into the ground. One more weekend of season transitional waiting and it’s off to the races.
3. One of the guys that I work with retires today and I took some time to think just how many of us are left now. Out of the 44 people on site that I started working with in 2010, there are only three left. Everyone else moved on for one reason or another. I got used to seeing people quickly coming and going when I was in the military but a turnover rate like I’ve seen lately around this place seems so very odd and unusually high to me. Maybe it’s just me.
4. I’ll be glad to see the weather warm back up. I get it that this is central Minnesota and this is typical weather for this time of year but I sure would enjoy feeling a warm May. It is nice seeing the sunlight lighting up the trees across the street as the sun rises in the eastern sky. It gives me hope.
5. The guy that was here to turn my lawn irrigation system on for the season loved my raised garden beds. I think he’s gonna borrow the design for himself so he can make some and sell them on the side. I told him I got it off the net myself so it’s not like it’s my design. Hey, more power to him if he can make a few more bucks to support his family.
There ya have it for this week. Feel free to comment and/or wave a vigorous “Hidey Ho & Hey!” as you pass thru.