Day: February 24, 2017
It’s a small coating of the icky bad white stuff but one does have to admit that it makes things look a bit more interesting wouldn’t you say? Tough break southern Minnesota but I have to admit it was better you than me.
Oh yeh, and this is in keeping with a couple of Miss Anna’s posts where she posted some pics to show she got some of the same thing an ocean away. It’s bad for people like us who live in the snow belt. I’d rather live in the bikini belt cuz that sounds so much warmer but I think I’d look awfully damn funny in a bikini. Maybe I should live in a kayak belt. Yeh, a kayak belt. I know I’d look better in a kayak versus a bikini.
My house sits on what used to be farm land. Well, it was farm land 20 odd years or so ago. I’m not the original owner of my home but the couple that it was purchased from had it built. I bought this place because it was in the south metro and it was kinda quiet here.
And then they expanded the north/south runways at MSP. That’s OK by me because I did spend 20 years in the Air Force and what’s a little plane noise? I mean it’s hard for me to sleep without a little plane noise at night.
And then the Gen X couples decided that they wanted to move to the burbs to raise their families. The other areas of the metro area were pretty well expanded and this south metro area offered all sorts of room to build new houses on. So I watched the farm land to my west and to my south and to my east be sold off and turned into new housing areas. It amused me when I heard people complain about “the farm smell” from the two dairy farms south of me. They’re century farms that have milk cows. Milk cows eat and poop and pee. What did you expect? I’ll hate the day that they close the farms and sell.
Little by little civilization has creeped in and taken over this area. But nature resists as much as it can and it tries to return this place back to nature. Every once in a while the planes aren’t flying overhead and I get a lull in traffic going by. I can hear the birds singing even in the dead of winter and I get a sense of what this land used to once be. It takes me back to when I was a kid growing up in southern Iowa and when I explored the wooded area and fields close to our home.
I feel sorry for the kids growing up around my place. They’ll never know what it feels like to try to walk quietly thru the woods and try to sneak up on some squirrels or deer as they feed. They’ll never know what it feels like to walk thru the tall grass and then having to pull the cockleburs off of your clothes. They’ll never know what it feels, smells like and sounds like to walk thru the leaves in the woods. Even my grands associate all of that with “getting dirty“. They haven’t learned that “getting dirty” is a part of growing and having fun.
I’ll have to get my grands out more this coming year to explore more. In the meanwhile I have to sit back and watch civilization encroach more and more in my area. I can’t say that I like it.
OK, so it’s that time of week once again and we’re here to try to exercise our brain once again. Personally I’d rather have an Egg McMuffin.
1. The storm missed us, it went south and it rolled into Wisconsin instead. Sorry Wisconsin. But I would much rather have the hardware store reclaim my unused snowblower gas versus actually using it. I think it’s a rather “green” attitude.
2. This is gonna be one busy ass weekend since this is Boogie’s last weekend here before she moves. I’m gonna miss that kid of mine but SLC is only a Delta flight away.
3. I forgot to put in for sick time for missing work Wednesday. Maybe that’s why my boss checked on me this morning. Yanno, it’s rather unsettling working from home and having him poke his head in via an IM. I’m half tempted to remind him that I’m a big boy now and I know how to manage my own workload without his help.
4. It’s kinda cool sitting here watching the snow flurries out my office window. This is a mucher nicer place to work and a lot less noisy as compared to being downtown with all of its construction that’s going on.
5. I saw my first commercial for March Madness. I can’t wait to fill out my brackets to see how fast it takes me to fall out with bad picks.
OK, there ya have it for this week. Feel free to comment and/or wave a over friendly “Howdy Hey!” when you pass thru.
I was bagged and tagged by Laura over at Riddle From the Middle for the above. I normally don’t do these things since my view is if you want to know something about me then I’ll either tell ya or I have it in a post somewhere … or at least I think I have it in some damn post on here. If not, then it’s a post idea. So here’s the emblem …
Tada!!! Now, what the hell else am I supposed to do here? Let’s see.
To pay it forward, here are the rules:
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and provide a link to their blog.
- Write a post to show your award.
- Give a brief story of how your blog started.
- Give two pieces of advice to new bloggers.
- Select 15 other bloggers for this award.
- Comment on each of their blogs, letting them know they’re nominated and linking back to this post.
OK, I’m crap at following directions and following rules. Rules and directions were developed because there are engineers in this world who love to tear things apart but don’t know diddley about putting things back together again. But I’m messing with a teacher and it’s unwise to do that since they have their ways about them. So to begin …
Thanks Laura. You’re the bestest. (Check that one off)
Write a post. (Check that one off too)
Brief story: I’ve been blogging for quite a while before coming to WP. Most sites that I was blogging closed down to multiple reasons and I left the last site because the atmosphere there was (and still is) way too toxic. Regardless, I came to WP to escape for personal reasons and have been posting thoughts and pics and music and whatever seems to pop into that grey matter between my ears. (Check)
Two pieces of advice. (Check this off too)
- Do your own thing. Looking for an expert on blogging? It aint me. I’ve seen people on here have a blog for 6 months and build up over a 1,000 followers whereas I’ve been here almost 3 years and still haven’t cleared 800 followers. But it’s all good. We all grow at our own rate and bigger isn’t always better. I’m busy enough staying on top of what my followers post and I can’t fathom what sort of effort would be needed to stay up with 1,000 or 5,000 followers. Hats off to people like Danny and the resident Ninja for keeping up with their blog followers.
- Don’t wear white shoes after Labor Day. This is apparently a bad thing according to Wendy over at Musings From A Tangled Mind. I dunno if my Nike’s count or not tho.
Select 15 bloggers and comment on their blogs. Nah! Rules? We got no rules. We don’t need to follow no stinking rules. (Ha ha! I cheated!)