Day: October 8, 2016
It’s Brrrrrrr! out there this morning. I was wondering why the house felt so cool this morning in the wee hours of a new dawn. I didn’t bother looking at the thermostat and my thermometer outdoors has long since been removed. I took a look out on the deck and was wondering just what that white stuff was on the railing. I took one step on to the deck with my bare feet and a horrible realization hit me.
We had our first frost of the season last night and the deck surfaces are painted in a coating of white. The same goes for my yard and for the shingles on my roof. I checked my Yahoo app and it told me it was 2C out there. OK, I know it was a tad cooler than that at 4:00 AM. Ugh! I want my summer back.
So I get to check the last of my green peppers sometime today to see what damage, if any, the frost did to them by the frost. My sweet potato leaves were covering in white and I’m not sure if they will start to die now. No matter. We’ll start getting ready to harvest them and cross our fingers that we will get a good crop.
I’m making some mental notes on what I have to get done between now and Halloween.
- I have a bird house to put back up. (a squirrel somehow managed to knock it out of the tree)
- I have some straw to clean out of a garden bed and a run to the compost yard to make.
- I have to put out my heated bird bath.
- I have a little painting left to do.
- I have to pressure wash the house, pressure wash the concrete bird bath bowl and clean the windows again.
Some list. In the mean while, I’ll sit here and sip on some morning coffee while I try to motivate myself to get clean and sparklie and smelling good so I can get to the market. I’d rather watch the birds that come to my feeders.